Reports to: Southgate President Jay Hankla and Centre Living President Trevor Brickman
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Chief Accounting Officer has multiple primary purposes.
- Provide leadership within the accounting department to implement, improve and maintain the system of internal controls as required by Sarbanes-Oxley and in order to fully participate in the complete mitigation of potential future material weaknesses and significant deficiencies. Coordinate with Green Brick Corporate Controller to enhance existing internal controls and implement new controls as required/necessary. Interface with the Green Brick CIO and the IT department to maintain efficient processes in conformity with other operating divisions.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting packages that provide for timely and reliable financial and operational information for third party needs (Green Brick) and for internal decision making processes, including analytics that accompany the financial reports.
- Participate in the developing of standard operating procedures, including documentation thereon, that improve the efficiency of both companies. This includes proactive identification of changes that may be required in order to ensure the successful adaptation of the companies to the changing internal and/or external environment (i.e. new submarkets, retracting submarkets, significant growth, changing organizational structure, new technologies, etc.).
- Prepare all treasury, budgeting, forecasting, cost accounting, audit, tax, accounting, and risk management.
- Responsible for the overall financial plans along with accounting practices.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Lead and supervise the Accounting Department in a manner that will produce a team environment that will motivate, develop and retain quality staff members.
- Drive month-end, quarter-end and year-end close processes in accordance and within published time frames, including appropriate documentation in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Issue financial reports in form and frequency to meet the needs of internal users and Green Brick.
- Refine and execute internal controls over the accounting and financial procedures of both companies.
- Work closely with internal and independent external auditors through quarterly and annual audits of financial statements.
- Prepare and analyze financial models and forecasts with respect to cash flow, sources and uses, feasibility studies of future land deals, internal rate of return analyses on current deals, lot takedowns, starts, deliveries, discounts for impairment, and the timing of new community openings.
- Work with both company Presidents and Green Brick to forecast an annual plan for the following year which is updated quarterly and tracked against monthly.
- Coordinate with the Purchasing Department to track and report on VPO issues, accurately project backlog and spec margins, and report on job cost variances of >2%.
- Participate in strategic and tactical management planning.
- Monitor current financial position, direct strategic planning activities and prepare financial forecasts.
- Works closely with Green Brick CEO, CFO and Head of Land and Development for forecasting and reporting needs.
- Create ad hoc financial reports and/or projections to support Presidents and broader Ops team that will be used to run the business.
- Prepare and oversee key budgets with respect to various components of the homebuilding and development operations.
Supervision of Others:
- Project Accountants
- A/P Accountant(s)
Physical Requirements: None
- BS in Accounting, required
- CPA, preferred
Experience & Competencies:
- 5+ years’ experience as controller or assistant controller working for homebuilder. Public homebuilder preferred.
- Direct hands-on experience with financial statement closing process at month, quarter, and year end
- Understanding of general ledger functions
- Familiarity with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance standards and generally excepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Prior supervision of staff of 5+
- Advanced computer skills with Microsoft Excel, accounting software and databases
- Ability to effectively manage projects of a lengthy, on-going, complex nature
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills including presentation skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and management, other departments, and those outside both companies (vendors, customers, owners, etc.)
- Ability to train and develop employees with respect to technical skills and interpersonal/soft skills
Nothing in this position description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.