Reports to: Corporate Controller
FLSA Status: Exempt
- Actively manages corporate accounting cycle functions to provide timely and reliable consolidated financial statements to users in accordance with SOX and US GAAP
- Provides active support to Corporate Controller and oversight of company initiatives in policies, procedures and internal controls for accounting department
- Devises and executes strategies for accounting functions to provide continuous improvements and efficiencies where needed
- Facilitates technical knowledge of accounting and internal controls to all accounting staff on inquiries and where help is needed
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Leadership and supervision (direct or indirect) of the Corporate Accounting Department in a manner that will produce a team environment that will motivate develop and retain quality staff members.
- Oversee month-end close process and books month end closing entries.
- Execution of internal controls over the company’s accounting and financial procedures, and establishment of new or more efficient processes, as deemed necessary.
- Review and approve manual journal entries for corporate entities to ensure accuracy and appropriate documentation (Corporate, Builder Finance, Green Brick Title, JBGL Capital, Centre Living, Southgate Homes, etc. as needed).
- Ensure proper completion and review of monthly and/or quarterly reporting checklists.
- Preparation of quarterly and annual consolidated Green Brick financial statements/trial balance package utilized for SEC reporting.
- Ensure proper control of calendars and charts of accounts in Newstar.
- Prepare or review financial statements for “incubator builders” and serve (with Corporate Controller) as acting accounting management for accounting functions.
- Prepare or review monthly and quarterly reconciliations and rollforwards of land, finished lots, real estate taxes, payroll and other key accounts as needed.
- Research and respond to financial questions from management as needed.
- Assists with requests of information, documentation and clarification of processes to internal and external auditors.
- Review and approves check registers for weekly check runs of vendor payments and builder draws.
- Assist Corporate Controller with establishment and documentation of Green Brick Accounting policies and procedures to be disseminated across the company.
- Complete special project or other assignments, as needed.
Supervision of Others:
- To be determined – potentially 3 to 5 corporate accounting team members
Authority/Budget/Decision Making/Discretion and Independent Judgment Ability:
- Reviews and approves work of Accounting Managers/Corporate Accountants
- Authority to create and implement accounting processes and procedures for corporate accounting team
- Exercises independent judgement on accounting treatment for standard and non-recurring entries and transactions
- Plays active role in decision making process of structuring the accounting department including recommendations for staffing and delegation of responsibilities
Physical Requirements: None
Location: Plano Corporate Office
- BS in Accounting
- Certification as a public accountant (CPA) required with active status
Experience & Competencies:
- 5 – 10 years progressive experience in accounting and finance
- Prior supervisory experience of accounting staff
- Prior experience with public company environment strongly preferred
- Strong understanding of accounting process, month end close and financial statement preparation in accordance with US GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance standards
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong analytical skills and understanding of operational rhythm as it pertains to closing cycle and financial impact
- Advanced computer skills with Microsoft Excel, accounting software and databases
- Strong interpersonal skills to enable effective communication with staff and management, builder entities, and executive management
Nothing in this position description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.